How to get into Queen’s | Ultimate University Guide
Arry Pandher - May 4th, 2022
Are you wondering how to get into Queen’s? Well, you’ve come to the right place!
Queen’s University is located in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, a university town that sits right next to Lake Ontario. They also have a smaller campus in East Sussex, England.
- The school has about 28k students in total, creating a tight-knit community.
- Did you know that over 95% of Queen’s students come from outside of Kingston? Making it a campus full of students from diverse backgrounds!
- Queen’s is one of the most popular schools for GrantMe students, we have supported tens of students in getting accepted into their prestigious engineering and commerce programs. Many of these students have won admission awards and bursaries, including their prestigious Chancellors and Commitment Awards.
- One of the highest national entrance averages of first-year students at 89.4%
- 93% employment rate after graduation, 97% five years after graduation
- Queen’s is ranked 5th among medical-doctoral universities in Canada in the Maclean’s 2019 University Rankings it also ranked 3rd for student satisfaction!
- 1st in Canada, 5th in the World 2021 in the 2021 Times Higher Education Impact Rankings
Stand Out Programs:
- Mining and Mineral Engineering (6th best in the world!)
- Certificate in law
- Health Sciences
Queen’s pushes the limits of what can be achieved and encourages students to develop ideas that can make a difference in the world! Interested in starting your post-secondary journey at Queen’s? Check out our latest Ultimate University Guide YouTube video to find out how you can get in!
Eligibility Requirements for Queen’s:
All applicants to Queen’s must meet the minimum requirements for admission consideration.
General admission requirements:
General Admission Requirements pertain to the educational jurisdiction in which you have studied! This will include your:
a. High School Diploma (or equivalent)
b. Four academic courses including English at the Grade 12 level.
c. High school pre-requisites for the faculty/program to which you are applying. Note that these pre-requisites will vary from program to program; check out which pre-requisites you will need here!
Queen’s Admission Averages:
The overall minimum admission average for all direct-entry undergraduate applicants to Queen’s University is 80%. However, we highly recommend aiming for a 90% average for your admission; this is because this average is more competitive and will help you secure your spot at Queen’s above other applicants!
- Competitive Averages for Admission Consideration:
The table below corresponds to the minimum average (based on prerequisite courses) that was required for admission consideration for September of last year.
- Please note: Applicants to some programs will be admitted on the basis of grades and supplemental information!
Make sure to use your time effectively in your last year of high school to really boost your GPA — keep yourself organized and stay on top of your assignments, it will pay off greatly when it comes time for university admissions!
English language requirements:
If your first language is not English, you may need to take an English Language Test.
These language requirements can be fulfilled through either:
- A completed an IB diploma (completion of SL English B is not sufficient);
- Having lived in a country where English is the acknowledged primary language for the most recent three years prior to beginning their university studies;
- Having attended an educational institution full-time where the medium of instruction is English for the most recent three years prior to beginning university studies;
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – Score of 6.5 on Academic Module with no band below 6.0;
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – iBT (Internet Based TOEFL)/88 overall: 24 Writing, 22 Speaking, 22 Reading, 20 Listening; Paper-Based TOEFL (PBT)/580 (TBC);
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL) – Overall band of 70 with no band below 60;
- Queen’s School of English – High standing on 12-week English for Academic Purposes advanced level English courses;
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) – Overall score of 60;
- Duolingo English Test – Minimum score 110;
- Cambridge English – 175, with no component below 170.
Degree Specific Requirements:
If you follow this link, you can find the degree-specific admission requirements for the program you are most interested in!
Need Support To Get Into Queen’s?
GrantMe has admitted countless students into their dream schools. If you’d like to know more about how GrantMe can support your goal of getting into Queen’s, start by taking our quiz to see if you qualify!
Join The GrantMe Program