Smith School of Business at Queen’s University: Overview
Arry Pandher - April 30th, 2022
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran
The Smith School of Business at Queen’s University is known for its academic and research quality, entrepreneurship, and leadership in the field of business.
Smith is at the leading edge of preparing you for the business marketplace, having established the first undergraduate business degree over a century ago and creating ground-breaking courses and programs in areas such as artificial intelligence, fintech, analytics, cultural diversity, team dynamics, and social impact.
Want to know more about the Smith School of Business? Then continue scrolling and find out more about this exceptional program! And then check out How to apply to Queen’s Commerce for your next steps.
Stand-Out Qualities of the Smith School of Business
1. The Smith School of Business provides a fantastic learning environment for students.
The program is marked by small class numbers, individual and team coaching, options for specialization, and a strong dedication to student achievement!
2. Smith pushes the boundaries of business studies and the industry via outstanding research opportunities.
Faculty, students, and staff can engage and pursue knowledge together with all the research opportunities available at Smith. This includes collaborations and partnerships that expand into amazing business ventures!
3. Smith creates ecosystems and focal points around their key faculty abilities that integrate complementary activities like research, teaching, and community participation.
Smith students and faculty work with academics all around the world, publishing in prestigious publications and encouraging one another to pursue new research avenues.
Programs at Smith School of Business
For post-secondary students, the Smith School of Business provides a strong and distinguished undergraduate curriculum, as well as a certificate option for individuals currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree in a non-business area who want to enhance their expertise.
Most popularly, Smith is known for its Bachelor of Commerce program.
Bachelor of Commerce
The following are some of the program’s key features:
- Personal attention, highly engaged professors, and a strong sense of community
- Focus areas include entrepreneurship, social impact, investment banking, accounting, marketing, consulting, international business, human resources, and more.
- Benefit from the expertise of award-winning lecturers and industry specialists.
- Lively business cases, team challenges, consulting projects, and dynamic classes
- Global business content and international studying opportunities
- Committed career planning and assistance with excellent employment results, as well as personal support services from academic advisors and personal counsellors who are invested in your success.
The Bachelor of Commerce program’s first and second years address essential business topics such as accounting, human resource management, and finance. It is the necessary basis for a managerial career. Electives, which include subjects from various faculties, then allow students in years 3 and 4 to focus on their interests.
Year One Courses Include:
- Introduction to Commerce A
- Introduction to Mathematical Analysis
- Introduction to Financial Accounting
- Principles of Economics for Business
- Introduction to Commerce B
- Introduction to Management Accounting
- Organizational Behaviour
- Managerial Statistics
- Managerial Economics
- Two Non-Commerce Electives
Smith School of Business Admission To be a student of Smith Commerce, you must have a solid academic record as well as a well-rounded attitude to life that includes leadership and teamwork. First, academic records are examined. After the minimal academic criteria have been satisfied, your Personal Statement of Experience and Supplementary Essays are used to make an admission decision. They will provide extra information about your capacity, capabilities, and interest in business studies!
Students that have shown interest in their school and community, such as volunteering, athletics, family duties, music, hobbies, or part-time employment, are the most successful in getting into the Smith School of Business!
Ontario Student Requirements Application to Queen’s can be made through the Ontario Universities Application Centre at ouac.on.ca. The minimum average mark requirement for admission to the school is 87%. This average is based on six 4U/M courses and must include the three prerequisites:
- English 4U,
- Calculus and Vectors 4U,
- and one additional 4U Mathematics course.
Please note that a minimum grade of 80% is required in each of these three prerequisite courses! Additionally, your three other required courses may be at the 4U or 4M level, but no more than two 4M courses are permitted from the same discipline!
Need Help with Applying to the Smith School of Business?
If you want to get into the Smith School of Business at Queen’s and make a stand-out application, then you’ve come to the right place! Take our FREE quiz to see if you qualify for GrantMe in just a few minutes.
Join The GrantMe Program