UOttawa French Immersion: Overview
Arry Pandher - January 14th, 2022
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran
Are you looking for a bilingual experience at University? Do you want to hone your French-speaking skills? If this is the experience you’re looking for, then the University of Ottawa French Immersion Stream is perfect for you!
This stream is designed for Anglophone and Allophone students who wish to pursue part of their studies in French. Interested? Keep reading and we’ll tell you everything you need to know about the University of Ottawa French Immersion stream!
What is the University of Ottawa French Immersion Stream?
The French Immersion Stream at the University of Ottawa is for Anglophone and Allophone students who want to do part of their university education in French. Eligible students are those who attended high school in a language other than French and participated in a French-as-a-second-language programme.
What programs are offered in the French Immersion Stream?
This Stream is offered in over 75 undergraduate programs in 6 direct-entry faculties at the University of Ottawa! These faculties include:
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Social Science
- Telfer School of Management.
Want to browse through all the programs that these faculties have to offer in French Immersion? If you do, you can check out this webpage to search for your desired program!
How Can You Be Eligible For the University of Ottawa French Immersion Stream?
The French Immersion Stream is for students who have attended high school in a language other than French, and have participated in a French-as-a-Second-Language programme while in high school. Because the French Immersion Stream is added to an English-only curriculum, applicants must have a strong command of the English language as well as advanced French abilities.
French Immersion Stream eligibility criteria:
Here are the criteria that you will need to get into the French Immersion Stream:
- Must take advanced courses in French as a second language in Grade 11 or 12 or equivalent.
- Must choose a program that offers French immersion at uOttawa. Then, you will have to apply to your program via the Ontario Universities Application Centre! Make sure to choose the French immersion option on the program details screen when applying.
- After you have received an offer of admission from uOttawa, you must pass the Immersion Entry Test.
What is the Immersion Entry Test
The Immersion Entry Test is an online assessment of your oral and written understanding and expression in French. This exam is used to certify your acceptance into the French Immersion Program.
It is recommended that you spend some time immersed in French before taking the Test, such as reading French literature, watching French television, or listening to French radio.
- NOTE: Once you have received an offer of admission in a program of study at uOttawa, you must request access to the Immersion Entry Test.
Your results will be available within 5 business days after writing the Test!
What happens if you are not eligible for the French Immersion Stream?
The French Immersion option will be deleted from your study profile if you do not pass the Immersion Entry Test. But don’t worry, your acceptance to your normal programme at uOttawa will not be affected.
You can still practise to improve your French by:
- Taking part in a program like Explore
- Having intensive French courses over the summer break, before you arrive at uOttawa;
- Enrolling in French-as-a-Second-Language courses (FLS) during your first year at the university.
You can take the Immersion Entry Test again after a two-month break. If you obtain the requisite exam results before September, you may contact French Immersion to have your French immersion option reinstated.
Need Support Getting into the University of Ottawa French Immersion Stream?
If you want to get into French Immersion at uOttawa but don’t know where to start, then you’ve come to the right place! Take our FREE quiz to see if you qualify for GrantMe in just a few minutes.
Join The GrantMe Program